We’ve had an unusual winter in Northern Virginia this year with more storms than usual. This might have left your home with a few things that need to be updated or repaired. Now is the time to start making plans for those “honey-do” lists.
And, if you are planning on buying or selling your house this season, it’s especially important to make sure you check these 10 maintenance items off of your list. If you need a little help, I’ve included some suggestions on who to contact.
- Gutters - Pull leaves and debris out of the gutters, run a hose on the roof and check if there are any leaks that need to be fixed.
- Siding - Power wash vinyl siding to prevent mold from forming. If you have wood siding, there may be areas that need a paint touch-up! Power Wash Plus at www.powerwashplus.net
- Windows & Door Screens - Check screens for holes and replace them if necessary. Clean windows inside and out. Let buyers focus on the view! Larry Miller Inc. at www.windowcleaningservice.net
- Water Heater - Lubricate the circulating pump and motor. If you are not familiar with these parts, you may want to call in a professional for maintenance. John C. Flood at www.johncflood.com
- Roof - Inspect the roof for any missing, loose or damaged shingles that need to be replaced. Dryhome Roofing at www.dryhome.com
- Deck or Porch - Check the deck or porch to see if they need to be weather treated or re-stained. Check railings for sturdiness and adjust if needed.
- Landscaping - First impressions are important. Whether you do it yourself or call in a pro, make sure to trim any overgrown plants and remove weeds. Don’t forget to add a pop of color with seasonal flowers! Landco at www.mylandco.net
- Foundation - Check floors, concrete and walls for any cracking or deterioration. If needed, call a foundation professional who can help. JES Foundation Repair at www.jeswork.com
- Bathrooms - Inspect the caulking around the base of the shower and sinks. If it is deteriorating, scrape it out and replace it. Buyers want to see a fully-functioning bathroom, not worry about water getting through the shower or sink.
- Sign up for my new FREE Service full of useful information about your home value. Homebot
If you need suggestions on the above or would like to find out how much your home is currently worth in the new season, let me know. I’m happy to be of assistance.